October 5, 2010
Children's Week 2010
Saturday 23rd October - Sunday 31st October
This could well be a state secret with the amount of build-up its recieved. Such a pity as it promises to be a great event for under-fives.
Children's Week is a celebration of young people based on the articles expressed in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child highlighting play, wellbeing and protection. Hosted by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development in conjunction with local councils, schools and early childhoood services, it focuses on the central theme of 'A Caring World Shares' and offers a program of kids activities in various locations around Melbourne.
The official launch of Children's Week will be held at Melbourne Zoo with a family fun day on Sunday 24th October. Kids under 15 years are free.
Other highlights include;
- Teddy Bear's Picnic at Lilydale Lake, Monday 25th October
- Smartycats at your local library, Tuesday 26th October
- Free Fun in the Park, Boroondara Parks, Tuesday 26th October
- Romp and Stomp Fun Day at Melbourne Museum, Wednesday 27th October
- Kids Day in the Park at Mornington Park, Wednesday 27th October
- African Circus Skills at Werribee Zoo, Saturday 30th October
- Children Week Celebrations at NGV, Sunday 31st October
- Children's Week Picnic at Werribee Park, Sunday 31st October
- The Mudcakes Happy Halloweenie Party, Williamstown, Sunday 31st October
For more information on Children's Week visit the DEECD website. The Children's Week 2010 Event Guide is searchable by local council so its a bit fiddly if you want to find out whats on around Melbourne as a whole but have a look and see what you can find.